Pink Fire Pointer Oh really?!

Oh really?!



I’m about to go on a little rant, so you can either ignore me or ride this out. Every so often I run into people who claim they are tattoo artists. Now I am not the most social of people but I do know of many of the local talent let’s say. So when someone whose name I do not recognizes pops up I like to know where they work. Often I will look them up on the internet or facebook to see their examples of their work. When I can’t find a single picture I then ask them which studio they work out of. Most often I get no response. So I must assume they work out of their house. So no, you are not a tattoo artist, you are a scratcher. A low life, law breaking, know nothing who is probably fucking up people who lay down their hard earned money. Sure these “clients” are either stupid or ignorant and we should all feel sorry for them. I am a tattoo artist, I’ve been doing this a while. I know what makes a good tattoo good. I’ve studied other artists, I strive to get better every day. My work has won awards and I’ve seen it published in many magazines. This doesn’t make me the greatest, but I believe it makes me qualified to know if your tattoo sucks.

So why would you get a shitty tattoo? Is it because you can’t afford better? I’d say this is the worst excuse EVER! I understand not having the nicest clothes, or the fanciest TV. But a tattoo last F-O-R-E-V-E-R! Why would you want to walk around the REST of your life with a shitty tattoo? Do you like looking stupid? We all make mistakes but the trick is to learn from them. Soooo after you’ve gotten one bad tattoo why go back for more? This doesn’t just mean the idiot doing tattoos out of his place or yours, but also the shitty artist working out of the studio with the bad reputation. A little research goes a long ways. Google the name of a studio and see what the reviews have to say. Better yet look at the artist’s portfolio! If he doesn’t have one walk out. How can you trust him?

Okay, so we now know that home tattoo artists are breaking the law and can’t be trusted. Good. We know that if the artist works in a studio with a bad reputation or doesn’t have a portfolio that you should probably walk out. Which brings me to the next bitch I’d like to talk about. Why do people feel the need to let me know that their “artist” was too busy so they came to me instead? Better yet their “artist” “hooks them up” and my prices are too high. FUCK YOU very much. First off, your “artist” yeah I’ve heard of him, 20 years ago he was cutting edge. But in the past 20 years he hasn’t grown as an artist and is STILL doing tattoos like he did 20 years ago! And they suck. Have you picked up a tattoo magazine lately? Have you seen what can be accomplished? This is why he’s “hooking” you up, he has to lower his price to keep people coming back and getting the horribly out dated work he keeps churning out.

Again, my work has received recognition, and no I’m not bragging. All I’m saying is that I’m proud that my hard work has paid off. I try to continue to grow and not become comfortable, complacent, or stagnant. Oh, you like my work? But the price is too much? The drive is too far? If you only knew how much some of these artists charge per hour, you’d be amazed. No, they never discuss prices on those tattoo shows you like to watch. If they did you probably wouldn’t think about getting a tattoo from the sticker shock alone! $200 to $300 an hour is not unheard of, but my $125 is too steep? And I am in no way saying I am in the league with these top name artists. But I am not a scratcher or other shitty artist carving out a living doing flash pieces on tourists. I tattoo, I draw, I paint. I don’t have a side job. I’m devoted to doing tattoos and doing them to the best of my ability.

I love tattooing. It’s a challenge every day. Something new and exciting. Sometimes you amaze yourself, and sometimes you know you could have done better. It’s the best job I’ve ever had and it’s not for everyone. Its takes drive and determination. It becomes more than just a job it becomes a life style. Some people take it too far and get wrapped up in drugs and alcohol trying to live like a rockstar. But the good ones keep a level head, they push and strive never resting, never satisfied. But damn it man if some people don’t take the wind right outta your sails. I’m lucky to have a strong group of devote followers and to them I say thank you. Thank you for letting me do what I love. Thank you for showing me your continued loyalty. Thank you for bringing me your family and friends. For showing up on time and keeping your appointments. You make all the sacrifices worth it. And to the rest of you I just sit back and shake my head. And if you read ALL of this, wow, I'm amazed.